23 September, 2006

Jenny LeBlanc



I made this piece to resemble a balance beam. It has a piano hinged lid, which, when opened, reveals an intricate sintra cut of a figure performing a balancing act on a beam. I ink the cut, lay paper down, close the lid to the beam press and close the brass latches on the outside of the press.

I then perform the very act that is cut into the sintra on the beam. The weight of my body performing the act supplies enough pressure to print the cut on the paper.

After the performance on the beam, the paper is removed and bound into a twelve-foot long accordion book depicting the very balancing act that created it.

The parts of the book that print most clearly result from the positioning of my body over those portions of the beam during the performance, and as such, no two books look exactly the same.

link

No comments: